The following is a collection of the primary records (vital records) that I have collected on the Estes/Eastes family in the course of my research. Included are cemetery records (tombstone inscriptions etc), county birth, marriage and death records, wills, military records, census records and much more.
The records are sorted into states and counties (where known), each state having it's own file (see the links below). Each set of records will have the original source of the records (eg: "Kentucky Will Book A: 1758-1799"), as well as the source from where I obtained it. Most of the records have come from the genealogy magazine, Estes Trails, for which I have the complete back-issues collection. Other records have been submitted by individuals (and are so credited). Note that unless otherwise indicated (and so far there are no exceptions), I have not actually seen the actual original records, but rather extracts, copies or transcriptions; consequently I can not guarentee that there are no errors in the included records.
As time permits (and helpful people submit records), I will continue to add to this database. I anticipate gaining access to records held by the Kentucky Historical and Genealogical Society in mid 1998 (when I will be visiting Frankfort, KY, home of the society) and those records will be added as time and net access permit (this web page is in Australia, if you haven't already noticed :). However, I would appreciate it if people did not request any specific counties as the issues of Estes Trails are not indexed and time spent searching is time not spent typing up the records. Special thanks to Jim Blake who has scanned/typed in several issues of the magazine, saving me considerable time and effort!
If anyone has additional primary records, I (and many others!) would very much appreciate it if you could forward them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail sent there will be forwarded to me while I am in the USA, if you dont have an address for there (when I'm there).
Finally, please note that all the information here, like all the other genealogical information on my web page is public domain unless otherwise indicated and thus cannot be claimed as such by other parties (I'm covering myself there legally since that issue has come up elsewhere). I request that none of this information be passed onto a for-profit genealogical company which resells it's information and further that if you find any of this information useful and use it, I would appreciate it if you could quote myself and this web site as a secondary source (David Powell, http://www.roots-boots.net/ft/estes.html) and also let me know by email so I can gauge whether to keep adding to this database.
At some stage I also anticipate adding primary records (or more accurately extracts from relevant indices) relating to the Eastes family of Kent, England, from whom the US Estes descend from. As you may have noticed, my main interest lies in the Kentish Eastes since my ancestory lies exclusively with them and not the US Estes.
NOTE: files for particular states may be updated and further information added on "new" counties without those counties being added to the list below.
* Family Records not specific to a particular state and/or county Includes family bible records etc.
* Records for the state of Alabama Including the following counties: Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Cleburn, Etowah, Greene and Limestone.
* Records for the state of Delaware Including the following counties: Fort Delaware (county unknown)
* Records for the state of Georgia Including the following counties: Campbell, Clayton and Troup.
* Records for the state of Illinois Including the following counties: Clark, Cumberland, Edgar, Edwards, Franklin, Hamiliton, Jefferson, Jersey, McDonough, Marion, Sangamon and Vermillion.
* Records for the state of Kentucky Including the following counties: Adair, Barren, Bourbon, Daviess, Fayette, Green, Hancock.
* Records for the state of Massachusetts Including the following counties: Essex.
* Records for the state of Maine Including the following counties: Oldtowm - County unknown.
* Records for the state of Missouri Including the following counties: Calloway, Christian.
* Records for the state of Mississippi Including the following counties: unknown, Itawamba, Leake, Neshoba, Newton, Tishomingo and Winston.
* Records for the state of North Carolina Including the following counties: Caldwell, Caswell, Orange.
* Records for the state of South Carolina Including the following counties: (Barnwell - County?), Chester, Greenville and Laurens.
* Records for the state of Tennessee Including the following counties: Chester, Davidson, DeKab, Dickson, Grainger, Hickman, Lawrence, Lebanon, Lewis, Maury, Roane, Smith, Stewart, Sumner, Williamson, Wilson.
* Records for the state of Virginia Including the following counties: (Kernstown - county?), Amelia, Caroline, Culpepper, Halifax, Louisa, Montgomery, Orange, Spotsylvania, Westmoreland.
* Records for the state of Wisconsin Including the following counties: Janesville, Kenosha.